Database Reliability Engineer
LINX is one of the biggest internet exchanges in the world where hundreds of service and content providers exchange their data every day on a massive scale. As a Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) you will be responsible for keeping database systems that support all production systems running smoothly 24x7x365. You will focus on database standardisation, automation, and resilience. Each single component of the database systems should become easily and safely replaceable. You will need to review and optimise the company’s existing database systems to facilitate the creation of fast and reliable APIs. Furthermore, you will evaluate service level objectives and use your domain knowledge to anticipate capacity needs.
The post holder will be based in either the LINX London or Peterborough office, but travel to other locations will be required
- Database design, documentation, support and development.
- Automation of database management processes.
- Work with Internal Services (IS) and Software (SW) teams on data modelling and process assurance for end-to-end automation.
- View the company’s infrastructure as a whole to evaluate methods to increase database efficiency.
- Eliminate gatekeeping: building guardrails, providing education, collaboration, and teaching to both IS and SW team.
- Help to determine useful performance metrics for monitoring and capacity management purposes.
- Database security/integrity.
- Evaluate backup policy to protect against physical and virtual damage to the company database systems; recommend improvements or potential alternatives.
- Database software installation and maintenance.
- Provide end-to-end technical support and problem resolution.
- Other duties, as required, to maintain the reliable operation of Infrastructure databases systems
- Standard On-Call rotation with the team
- Any other duties required for the overall operation of LINX
- Proven extensive working experience with database engineering.
- Advanced knowledge of database structure and theory.
- Extensive experience with MySQL/MariaDB and experience with MongoDB
- Familiarity with concepts of RESTful API and programming languages: Python/PHP
- Understanding of problem diagnosis and performance tuning techniques.
- Excellent knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity and SQL.
- Experience with configuration management tooling
- Experience integrating database metrics into observability and monitoring platforms
- Ability to communicate to a wide variety of audiences, both business and technical, whilst working independently with minimal direction.
- BSc, MSc or PhD degree in Computer Science or STEM.
- SugarCRM development experience or similar.
- Experience with MSSQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with and basic understanding of networking (mac addresses, IP addresses, switching, routing).
- Direct DBRE experience
- Experience with Ansible
- Experience with Jenkins
- You will be required to be security screened to BS7858:1996 standard (this process will start at the induction stage)
- You are required to have the right to live and work in the UK
LINX is an equal opportunities employer and all applications will be considered.
The salary for this position will be determined by experience however LINX offers a full range of employee benefits including:
- Medical and Dental
- Income Protection
- Death in Service
- Bonus (the Company aims to pay a bonus dependant on both the performance of the Company and the Employee however this is not guaranteed)
Closing date for applications:
19th April 2021 (unless the position is filled sooner)